Want to process and sell value added products? Take this quiz to test your knowledge of what's allowed and what's not here in Iowa.
Download a Checklist for Retail Purchasing of Fresh Food
FS0030.ChecklistRetailPurchasingFreshFood in Extension format.pdf
Extension Value Added Agriculture:
Find information on:
- Women in Agriculture
- Small Farms Sustainability
- Visit Iowa Farms
- Land Grant Legacy
- Feasibility studies
- Iowa Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE)
- Agricultural Marketing Resource Center (AgMRC)
Find information on constructing and operating a high tunnel.
Also in the Extension store, find information on:
- Vegetable Production Budgets for High Tunnels
- Farm Safety
- Water Quality
- Resource Guide for Beginning Farmers
Iowa State University Extension and Outreach Food Safety
Resources for keeping local food safe.
Iowa Food Safety and Protection Task Force
Information on food processing, farmers' markets, and homebased food operations
Iowa Food Hub
Resources from a nonprofit that connects farmers, families, and food grown close to home in Northeast Iowa.
Iowa Department of Agriculture
- Forms and Licensing
- Organic Certification
- Farm to School programs
- Farmers’ Market Directories
- Administrative Rules
Information for Farms that are Exempt or fall under the Modified Requirements of the Food Safety Modernization Act's Produce Safety Rule from the Iowa Department of Agriculture and Iowa State University Extension and Outreach.
PSR Modified Requirements - Labeling and Records.pdf
Food Safety Alliance
- Produce Safety Rule
- Upcoming Trainings
- How to get trained as a lead trainer
North Central Region Center for Food Safety Modernization Act for Training, Extension, and Technical Assistance
- Upcoming FSMA trainings
- Specific resources for different fruits and vegetables
- Contact information for state leaders around the Midwest